Monday, December 6, 2010

DIY Starburst Mirror

I recently came across this mirror while blog stalking Isabella and Max Rooms.



This woman has the coolest and very affordable DIY ideas. Not to mention her house is stunning and she’s done nearly every bit of decorating on her own by making things; or at least by making existing things better.

So anywho, saw it, had to make it.

There are a lot of variations to it and it can be personalized in nearly any way. You can choose your own color, stick width, pattern, mirror, etc…

I knew I wanted mine to end up white because it would POP against our toasty milk chocolate master bedroom walls. Plus our bed was in dire need of some décor above it but with the curved headboard, I didn’t know what to do. A flat picture or something would have been okay but wouldn’t have a great flow.

Wanna know how I did it?

Supplies:
Hot Glue Gun
Glue Sticks (Duh)
Ruler
Marker
{Four} $.99 packs of 12" Dowel Rods (Got mine at Joann’s – 20/pack)
-Mine are probably medium width…not sure though
{One} 8" Round Mirror (Joann’s – approx. $5…can’t remember now)
1 can of Spray Paint of your choice (I used Krylon Satin in Bright White)
LARGE work surface (this thing gets pretty wide)
{One} picture hook thing-a-ma-bob (Came in a pack of 6 or so for cheap cheap)
Paper/Ripped out pages of a magazine (to cover the mirror while painting)


I started by marking off in even increments on the back of the mirror where I wanted my dowel rods to be glued. Then I would lay each little 1/8 section out one at a time and put the rods where I wanted and glue them one at a time to be sure I was liking the design. It would be MUCH easier to do a solid round starburst but I liked the jagged/pointed look so I staggered them. No rocket science here, just eyeballing.



After everything was glued in place, I covered the mirror to protect it from the paint. Some tutorials for this mirror say to paint the rods before, but this way I only had to paint one side and they were “in place” so they wouldn’t roll around while I was trying to spray them.



I let dry and then hot glued the picture-hook-thing-a-ma-bob onto the back. After I did it, I remembered I had recently purchased some gorilla glue and thought that might hold better. So I tried with all my might to get off the hot glued thingy and it wouldn’t come off, so I was confident it wouldn’t fall off the wall and just left it.

Because of the thickness of the rods, I bent the hanger outward some so it would be flush with the rods so the nail could catch it.



I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!! I think it is the perfect addition to the wall and to me it looks very chic.

I am debating making another one for above the foyer table but I’m not sure yet…so many ideas I tell you!

29 comments:

  1. LOVE that, and I'll deff be stealing this idea!! :) I've always wanted one of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! I saw one of these on a blog I was looking at but never thought about making it myself...awesome idea and it turned out GREAT! Make sure you save your ideas for me when we get our house, I'm gonna be on a MAJOR budget and need your assistance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tamara, this is AMAZING!! I hope you don't mind, but I featured it on my blog today [with a link back, of course!] :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fantastic idea! I will def. being making this one!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely AMAZZZZ! thank you for sharing :) such a great gift idea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely AMAZZZ! thank you for sharing this crafty inexpensive idea. Very easy to make for gifts (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really thinking about trying it, moving soon on a budget great idea <3 THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone for your sweet comments! The mirror is still one of my favorite projects to this day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! Such an easy DIY. I've been itching to make one for our dining room so I might have to try this out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Mandy @ This Girl's Life

    Thanks so much! This one was super easy...I made one earlier in the week I'll be posting soon that was a little more intense! Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought the materials for this today at the Hob.
    Can't wait to make it. It will be painted either turquoise or red! Thanks for such a good tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I hope it goes good for you! I'd love to see the finished result!

      Delete
  12. Hi, do you know how I can add your blog to my RSS feed? I didn't see a button on your blog, but I want to follow you! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! If you scroll to the very bottom you can enter your email address to subscribe. If you know of a better way please tell me because I suck at running this blog, I have no skills! haha!

      Delete
  13. Hello! I am going to "copy" this and make it for a bedroom re-do. thanks for sharing. You just saved me a bundle. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you stumbled across it then! Good luck and I'd love to see a picture when it's done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just wanted you to know I added this link to my blog! Thanks for the inspiration!! I love my mirror!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You're so very welcome! :) I am glad that you love yours! Do you have a picture? I wanna see!

      Delete
  16. I am going to have to make one! Thanks for the tutorial! I love beautiful and inexpensive!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm going to use black instead of white, to match my black-accessoried room with white walls :) Thanks so much, I'm so stoked!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just made this yesterday and love it! I painted my dowel rods light yellow to match my yellow black and gray room. I already had my glue gun but I used 4 coupons at jo ann fabric on the four bags of dowel rods, spray paint , and mirror. I spent like 9 bucks !!! I love coupons !:) Thanks for this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I followed your tutorial earlier this spring! I think I may add more dowel's for a fuller look, but I love it!
    You can see it here: http://asgoldasitgets.wordpress.com/2013/03/25/154/

    thanks for the great inspiration and tips!

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Ashley Abney, I'm so glad you made it and love it!! I'd love to see it :) @asgoldasitgets yay! I love the chunky look, I want to make another one since this one broke in my last move. I love Isabella and Max's big chunky one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super idea. I may make one for my daughter as a gift. She'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Trying to showing off your elegance with the DIY Mirrors? Decorate your house with artwork framed mirrors. Wishing, the beauty of your house will be cherished, the www.texascustommirrors.com always remains beside in the long run. By the way are a house lord your home become unattractive looking, do not be worried our customer service providers are ready to visit your house, they suggest you which types of mirrors do you need. Contact us all the time and get us beside you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How did you attach the picture hanger?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...